The book is a great introduction to sewing for kids. It will inspire them to create there own products and the best part it is so user friendly it can be used by parents who may only be a beginner themselves . Just as the author suggests follow her steps, but also incorporate your own creativity to make it your own design.
We started off by picking a project from the book. We then checked what materials are required, picked out our fabrics, cottons and gathered any other materials we needed to get started.
At first it was a little harder than I first thought it would be. First tracing then cutting, pinning and stitching. As I kept practising the stitches I got better at it and I loved seeing how the projects turned out.
I had a lot of fun making my creations, so far I've made a few star pillows, a flower power cushion and a hippy bag. My favourite would be the Hippy Bag I have already used it several times when I've been out.
I am looking forward to my next sewing day, I am also going to try and use the sewing machine next time.
As per book instructions we didn't have access to a photocopier so we did use the trusty baking paper and copied the templates which Ellie could then trace easily and cut out.
This book was very easy to read and understand once we started we just couldn't stop creating. We are looking forward to a rainy day to start new projects and this time try out the sewing machine and some of the harder projects !!
This book will also be very handy in a classroom setting for the kids to learn about sewing and create their own product that they could take home and be proud of.
- Parents do not require any previous sewing experience
- The book is recommend for children aged five and up
- Give yourself 1 -2 hours to prepare and complete a project
- Sew Together Grow Together Book, can be purchased from Trixi Symonds Etsy Store.
- For more ideas and projects check out the authors Coloured Buttons website or facebook page .
- If you enjoyed Little Opinions latest blog, please visit and like our facebook page to keep up to date with all our blogs.