It is a fun drive to Watkins Family Farm at Laughtondale, it's around a 50min drive from Sydney city. On the drive out to the farm we counted how many farm animals we could see on the way. I am pretty sure it was 10 sheep, a few goats and lots of cows.
Our first adventure started when we took a right turn down a 2 way street which was a dirt track and more like a one way street down the mountains. We just crossed our fingers no other cars came in the opposite direction. I would suggest not taking the short cut and continuing to Wiseman Ferry.
You can eat at Watkins Farm, they have seats and shelter and a small kiosk to purchase from. We chose to drive into town (Wiseman Ferry) which was approximately a 5 minute drive to enjoy lunch at the pub. The Wiseman Ferry Pub was very family friendly with a jumping castle, chooks and tractors for the kids to check out.
I also liked feeding the goats and the sheep bread, it was funny watching them steal the bread from my hand.
It was fun going to the pub afterwards for lunch. I got to jump on the jumping castle it was sooo big. I hope that we go back again soon.
Ellie's Little Opinion: I enjoyed picking the mandarins, there were so many trees for us to pick from. It was a fun day out, I especially liked being able to cut my own mandarins of the tree all by myself.
We have been eating mandarins every day since we went to the farm.
The prices are very reasonable no entry fee but every adult must pick a bucket for $10.00. We easily filled our buckets.
The key was to cut just above the mandarin we are told they will keep for 3-4 weeks. If you pull them off the tree they will only last 3-4 days.
The farm is beautiful , there are so many trees to pick from. You have the option of eating on the farm and feeding the animals. This is a wonderful day out for the family. Especially when you can drive 5 minutes down the road and enjoy a pub lunch.
- $10 per adult per bucket to pick mandarins
- $5 refundable deposit for the cutting scissors
- $7 for a dozen free range eggs
- Food and drinks available to purchase on the farm grounds
- Toilet facilities available on the farm
- Free to eat on their grounds, many chairs and tables to chose from.
- Free to feed the goats and sheep on the farm.
- Watkins Family Farm is located at 1006 Singleton Mills, Laughtondale NSW (5 minute drive out of Wiseman Ferry).
- Further details can be found on the Watkins Family Farm website.
- Wiseman Inn Hotel is located at Old Northern Rd Wiseman Ferry NSW. Further details can be found on theirwebsite.