We headed off to the Australian museum not really knowing what to expect, the name museum can often translate to ‘be quite’ and ‘don’t touch things’. However we had a great day and found hours of entertainment that was interesting for both adults and kids.
What I love is that there is always something different happening and great school holiday programs.
Get closer to over 400 real spider specimens including live tarantulas, giant water spiders and deadly funnel-webs.
See live spider milking at the Venom Lab, enter a cave crawling with spiders, test your strength against spider silk and dare yourself to try other creepy crawly immersive experiences.
I loved using the mineral wheel and looking at all the minerals and crystals. There were so many colours. I also loved seeing the dinosaur bones – they were huge! I had fun looking in the microscopes and seeing my fossil on the screen.
Mum’s Big Opinion
There are so many standard exhibitions that will keep you busy reading and looking. The museum is very kid friendly and interactive, especially the Kidspace section where you can interact with displays. I enjoyed the cultural displays and Aboriginal history.
- Address: 1 William Street, Sydney. Only a short walk from Museum or Town Hall train station.
- Opening hours: 9:30 – 5:00pm everyday except Christmas Day
- Price: Kids under 16 years are free. Adults are $15, concession $8. Some exhibits are an additional cost.
- Parking prices: Take advantage of parking at Hilton Hotel Pitt street (3 hours for $15 OR All day parking for $20 when you validate at the Museum.
- Food: Get fresh made sandwiches (also ones great for kids), fruit salads, treats at the café on the lower ground or visit the restaurant on the top floor. You are also able to take your own food into the museum.
More information: visit www.australianmuseum.net.au