Poppy Park is located at Judges Park in Penrith NSW, about 50 minute drive from Sydney. At the park there is over 102,000 commemorative poppies. Each Poppy has a fallen hero's name and the years they served and died.
When arriving, you only then realise the enormity of how many soldiers we have lost during the wars by the abundance of poppies. It is a beautiful idea to have the park. Just to read the many names attached to the poppies and one cannot even imagine how they were feeling when they left their home country to go to war.
If you are not able to get out the park or live to far away you can purchase a poppy online. At the end of the event they will be packed into commemorative boxes and sent to everyone who purchased a poppy during the event. Come next Anzac Day or Remembrance Day you will have your own fallen hero to remember.
I couldn't believe how many poppies were at the park.
Alyssa's Little Opinion: I meet a very special solider at the park, he let me hold his medals. The medals where so heavy and very shiny and pretty. I felt really special holding them, he was such a nice man to let me hold his medals. I also liked looking at the poppies and I cannot wait for when our own poppies arrive in the mail and we can keep them forever.
It was nice to read over names and not just think of them as soldiers but to actually put a name to the solider. We purchased 4 poppy's and are looking forward to them arriving in June. Although these soldiers are not related to us nor have we ever meet them we are looking forward to being able to celebrate their lives and each time we look at the poppies be reminded how brave they were. Lest We Forget.
- Poppy Park will be open for 5 weeks from March 21st, through ANZAC Day to April 29th.
- Poppy Park is open 8am - 9pm every day until April 29th, 2015
- Poppy Park is located Woodriff Street, Penrith NSW (next to Judges Car Park & Penrith Bowling Club)
- Poppy Parks vision - each of our fallen heroes be remembered personally each year, by at least one family in Australia. "It is difficult to remember 102,804 names, however it is easy for 102,804 Australians to remember one name each".
- You can purchase a poppy online 1 for $17.90 or 4 for $39.95, there are also many other options.
- For more information visit the official Poppy Park website.